One of the things I love about the Christmas break is having the opportunity to reflect on the year gone by and set new goals and aspirations for the year ahead.
Sometimes though I don’t know about you, but with the busyness of the season, the new year comes around so quickly I suddenly realise I haven’t actually taken any time out to give it proper thought.
This year I’m determined to plan some time in advance to reflect on what’s been great about 2017 and set some new goals for 2018. I thought it might be helpful to share some of the questions I’ll be mulling over. Why not take some time out over the holiday, go for a walk, have a hot bath or just sit somewhere quiet and have a think about what the start of the new year will mean for you.
Here are 10 questions to help you reflect on 2017 & refocus for 2018:
- Looking back over the year who and/or what are you most thankful for?
- What achievements or moments in 2017 are you most proud of or have given you the most fulfilment?
- What new skills, habits or attitudes have you learnt or developed in 2017 that you want to continue into 2018? It might help to think about what you can do practically to reinforce or encourage these new found skills/habits/attitudes in the year ahead.
- Are there any disappointments or frustrations that have occurred during the year that you need to let go of, and is there anyone you need to forgive?
- Is there anything that you feel you need to work on in the year ahead? Why not write down what can you do practically to help you work on it and make a note of anyone you could trust to encourage/challenge you.
- What are your hopes and dreams for the year ahead, in other words, what would you really like to see happen in 2018?
- Is there anything new you would really like to try/do in the year ahead? Why not create an action plan for how and when you can make this possible.
- Is there anywhere you really want to go? Why not create an action plan for how and when you can make this possible.
- Who would you like to make more time for in the year ahead? Why not get in touch with them and make a plan to meet up in 2018.
- Is there anyone you know who has had a tough year that you could you do something special for / surprise in 2018?
I hope these questions give you some food for thought and help you in your reflection. If you feel comfortable to share some of your ideas or thoughts, it would be lovely to hear from you!